At Wisewood, our intent for History is to enable children to enjoy a rich and broad understanding of key historical knowledge and skills through the delivery of a purposeful, engaging curriculum. We encourage pupils to believe in themselves, build resilience and become creative, critical thinkers. We aspire to empower our children in becoming historians and give our children a better understanding of the ways in which they contribute to society and the wider world.
Our history curriculum provides children with the opportunities and experiences to improve their cultural and social capital whilst having a clear understanding of their own heritage.
Key Concepts explored in History:
- Interpretation and Diversity
- Continuity and Change
- Cause and Consequence.
Key Stage 1 Curriculum Content
- My Family
- Significant People in the History of Space Travel
- Significant Events and the Impact Of – The Great Fire of London
- Local History – Sport and The Sheffield Flood.
Key Stage 2 Curriculum Content
- Stone Age
- Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Greece
- Anglo Saxons / Vikings
- World War 2
- History of Medicine and Disease
- Local History – Football, Steel, Music and Theatres, Universities.