At Wisewood Primary School, we value Art and Design as an important part of the children’s entitlement to a rich, broad and balanced curriculum. Art and Design provides the children with the opportunities to express their individual interests, thoughts and ideas.
Art, craft, and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity and we intend for the children of Wisewood Primary School to believe in their own creative spark and the journey it can take them on. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation. Our children can aspire to become the artists, creators and designers of the future.
Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum Content
Pupils explore and use a variety of media and materials through a combination of child initiated and adult directed activities. They have opportunities to learn to:
- Explore the textures, movement, feel and look of different media and materials.
- Respond to a range of media and materials, and develop their understanding of them in order to manipulate and create different effects.
- Use different media and materials to express their own ideas.
- Explore colour and use colour for a particular purpose.
- Develop skills to use simple tools and techniques competently and appropriately.
- Select appropriate media and techniques and adapt their work where necessary.
Key Stage 1 Curriculum Content
Pupils are taught:
- To use a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
- To use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination.
- To develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space.
- About the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, across a range of cultures.
Key Stage 2 Curriculum Content
Pupils are taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation, and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Pupils are taught:
- To create sketches to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas.
- To improve their art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture, with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay).
- About great artists and designers in history and from a range of cultures.