Early Years Foundation Stage
At Wisewood Primary School we believe that the Early Years Foundation Stage has the power to determine a child’s future success in education. This unique and important year is the fundamental building block for a child’s happiness and security. Getting this right ensures that our children feel safe, valued and respected.
We know that creating an inspiring, nurturing and purposeful setting allows children to develop as individuals and learn the fundamental skills required to engage fully in their curriculum.
We aspire to enable all children, regardless of background or experience to achieve excellence and contribute to our school community and the wider world. By creating a purposeful and engaging Foundation Stage we believe that our children will be fully prepared for the next stage of their education.
The themes of our curriculum act as a stimulus and starting point for learning, linked to the different subject areas:
- Learning the school routine, and feeling happy, safe and secure.
- Meeting new people and talking about similarities and differences.
- Learning about different communities and celebrations in the world.
- Understanding local geography and gaining a sense of place.
- Learning about the natural world.
- Finding out the importance of a healthy lifestyle.
- Developing an understanding of change and history.
Reading is at the heart of everything we do and allows children to explore new ideas, concepts and challenging ideas through a rich and diverse range of reading materials that we enjoy together every day.
Our phonics programme is supported by the Read Write Inc scheme which is delivered to children daily.
We acknowledge that early maths is a vital part of learning within the Foundation Stage providing the basis for success, confidence and fluency. Children at Wisewood are provided with repetitive yet meaningful opportunities to apply their mathematical thinking to ensure full participation in wider life.